Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Valentine's Goodies!

So, I know you haven't heard from me in awhile, but I have a surprise for you!  I have my first how-to blog post for you all!

I have seen these snacks all over Pinterest, and I thought it would be a good sweet treat for my Duck.  We agreed not to get really sweet chocolates or cookies or anything too fattening (we are both attempting to diet) so I thought this was a good compromise.  I could be wrong, but since these lack multiple sticks of butter I was thinking these *might* be better.

Most of the pins lead to dead-end sites, but I managed to find one with instructions! Score!  So I based my snacks on the treats made by Like Mother Like Daughter's blog.

They taste amazing, I promise!
For my version, you will need:
  • Square "Buttery Snaps" pretzels
  • Hersey's Hugs (mine are the special raspberry ones)
  • Pretzel M&M's
They are pretty basic to make.  First you lay out the pretzel's on a cookie sheet.  I chose to use square pretzels because I think they look nicer. On top of the pretzels, place the Hugs, trying to center them as best you can.


Can you see the Hug that is slightly more different than all the others?

You will need to preheat your oven to 300 degrees in order to soften the Hugs. The original says to heat them for 3 minutes, but when I took mine out the Hugs were pretty liquidy, so next time I am going to try 2 minutes so that they hold their shape better. Once out of the oven, gently press the M&M's into the melted chocolate.

I was going mostly with Valentine's colors but I wanted to see what the other colors looked like.

I chose the pretzel M&M's because they are my favorite, and yes I know its a bit redundant, but it helps with the sweet and salty feel of this treat. These are for Duck, but I may have sampled the not-so-Valentine's-colored ones/  They were amazing!  Not too sweet, and I love the raspberry taste ... mmmm!

So I may have accidently opened the bottom of the pretzel bag ... oops!
The only tedious part of this project was unwrapping all of the Hugs!  I had a small mountain of wrappers when I was done.



And of course the kitties *had* to be underfoot while I was working. They were convinced that I was going to drop something tasty for them (I didn't!).  I also made a couple other things for Duck's Valentine's gift, but one is still cooking (its for him to take to work for lunch tomorrow (aka Valentine's Day)).  The other part is a treat to go in his lunch, along with these pretzel snacks.  I hope he likes them, because I love making gifts for him. :)

Yum, yum, yum!





No comments:

Post a Comment